Living and Working in Ukraine Blog

I live in Kherson Ukraine with my wife Anna and my stepdaughter Sveta. This blog chronicles my life, love and learning with my family, friends and work in the country I now call home. I work with various Ukrainians, foreigners, Ukrainian businesses and foreign businesses to help them succeed in Ukraine.


Caravela Ukraine Services Page

Visit this page to see a listing of our translation, language courses and consulting services.

I was almost arrested at the airport in Ukraine...almost!



I used to carry a short (16 inch) collapsible baton in Ukraine for self protection, primarily from the stray dogs in the small city where I live. On a trip back to the U.S. I had it in my luggage and the security screening at the door entering the airport noticed it. Here's what happened.

  • The person running the x-ray machine asked me to take out the baton.
  • She called over her colleague and they chatted for a moment. Then she asked me to wait.
  • An airport security guard came over, shrugged and called someone on his phone.
  • A second airport security guard came over, they talked, he shrugged and he called someone on his phone.
  • A third airport security guard came over, they all talked and he said to me, "criminal" while pointing at the baton. He called someone on his phone.
  • Two airport police officers showed up, looked at the baton and they called someone. I used my phone to translate a question, "will I make my flight?" They shrugged.
  • Forty minutes after this all began two men in officer uniforms showed up. One was clearly the person in charge.
  • Here's what happened next. 

The guy in charge picked up the baton with his thumb and index finger as if it were a dead rat. Looked at the two police officers and said something in Ukrainian that I didn't understand. From the look on his face it looked like he was saying something like, "Are you stupid?" Then I heard them say something about a "military weapon". He then held it between his index fingers and said something like, "It's only this long." By now the security guards had scattered and the two police officers where clearly looking for some way to do the same. The officer in charge handed me the baton, said something in Ukrainian, and shook my hand. I said thank you, smiled and never brought that baton to the airport again.

In Ukraine, like many cultures and societies classified as "formal", there is always one person in a position of authority who interprets the rules and has wide discretion in their application. Submitting to their authority is usually the best initial strategy. You can always argue later. If you begin by arguing you'll be challenging that authority which is rarely a good idea.

I hope this is helpful.  If you have any questions this or other aspects of living and doing business in Ukraine feel free to write us.