Living and Working in Ukraine Blog

I live in Kherson Ukraine with my wife Anna and my stepdaughter Sveta. This blog chronicles my life, love and learning with my family, friends and work in the country I now call home. I work with various Ukrainians, foreigners, Ukrainian businesses and foreign businesses to help them succeed in Ukraine.


Caravela Ukraine Services Page

Visit this page to see a listing of our translation, language courses and consulting services.

Expats Working in Ukraine



In 2016, when I decided to establish a life here in Ukraine I wanted to continue working.  My career has covered a wide range of different technical disciplines, geographies, and types of organizations.

I have worked in organizations that range from gigantic to tiny.  My undergraduate degree is in food and beverage science where I began my career in operations and general management.  After getting an MBA I went on to work for a large consumer foods company in marketing and brand management. which included international positions.  Later, I returned to school to get an M.A. in Leadership with Post Graduate studies in psychology and started doing Leadership and Organizational Development consulting.

So, when I looked at what I could do while living in Ukraine there were two immediate options.  Work remotely and travel back to the U.S. to work with clients there and teach English in Ukraine.  Those are the two most common options I see for expats here in Ukraine.  I know many expats who work remotely as IT consultants and contractors.  I also know some who work remotely as dispatchers for transpiration companies in English speaking countries.  In addition, there is always a demand for native speakers to teach English.

There are two primary complications with working in Ukraine as an expat.  Very few expats speak Russian or Ukrainian fluently and they are very difficult languages to learn quickly.  This makes the options for working in Ukraine very limited.  In addition, the pay scales for work here are considerably lower than the U.S. and Western Europe.

I have been able to work with some English schools in Ukraine, not only to teach English but help them with business development and management.  I have also been able to teach seminars and do business consulting which has helped me enormously to learn about both the culture and business environment here in Ukraine.  I eventually established my own English school and translation agency with a staff of interpreters, translators and language instructors.  This has allowed me to do consulting projects and contract work for expats and foreign organizations in Ukraine.

Our primary focus now is remote work for western clients, consulting and contract work for expats and foreign companies in Ukraine, and English proficiency exam preparation for IELTS and other exams.